Saturday, October 3, 2015

Settled in Scott City

After enjoying a month in our Garden City duplex, our house was ready in Scott City.  So we made the move on the first week of September from Garden City to Scott City about 50 miles away.   This is the view of our house from the front.  We are going to be glad we have a garage when the snow starts blowing, and we hear that is what it does here. It doesn't fall, it blows sideways!


Moving day with our hard-working, service-oriented Scott City elders,  Elders Hughes and Denson, helping us unload.


This was our moving van, a horse trailer!  First time for that, but it worked out great.

This is Tom Yager who owns the horse trailer and had been working on improving the house for a month to get it ready for us. He updated a lot of this for us to make it nice.  The house was built by his father in the 40's and has the most amazing use of space for storage that I have ever seen.


My favorite feature of this new house is all the trees in our huge yard.  They are very old and very tall trees and I love them!










Just below you see the side yard with more trees. As I sit in our study room I can see little squirrels scampering around in the back yard.  Would you believe we even have an albino squirrel?  He is almost pure white!  Haven't managed to get a picture of him yet though, too fast!

We have this interesting landmark just off our back fence. It is a water tower (every town has at least three of them), but this is the only blue one we have seen.  Doesn't it look like some strange alien wearing a crown?  If people are looking for our house, we just tell them we live in front of the blue water tower.
Here's a look at our new kitchen.  Since we have an arrangement as companions, I do the cooking and my companion does the cleaning up.  This guy is very happy that he has a dishwasher to help him do it.  Did you notice all those lovely cupboards and loooong counter?  At least twice what we had in the duplex.


I had to take pictures of our cupboards after we did a Sam's club stocking up.  Don't know yet how these winters will go so thought we should have plenty of food on hand just in case we can't get to the store.
And this is just a few of our cupboards.  I haven't yet been able to fill them all up.  
(I get so annoyed with this blogging when I can't get the pictures and the typing I do to line up.  Need some lessons, I guess.  But you will just have to jump around a bit to get it all cause I can't get it to do what I want it to.)

 This organ was left in the house because the former occupant (Tom's daughter) didn't have room to take it to her new house in Colby.  I am delighted and thought I would have fun practicing on it but I don't find many spare minutes to do so.  Pretty cool to have though.

Elder Riggs enjoys having a yard to get out and work in occasionally when he needs a break from studying and lesson preparation.  He pretty much has this all cleaned up now and I imagine come Spring, he will be out there planting some flowers.

We are very happy here in our 'home' in Scott City.  It feels so much homier than a duplex and within two minutes, we can be walking on a country road with milo on one side and corn on the other.  One morning I was out walking on that road by myself when it started to pour down rain. I turned around and started back the mile that I had already walked when an old farmer in a white pickup pulled up and offered me a ride.  I hopped right in and he asked me if I wasn't afraid to get in with a stranger.  I told him I had only been here a month but had learned enough to know I could trust these Kansas farmers.

  We love our little ward and the good, down-to-earth Kansas folks here. We are grateful the Lord has called us to serve in this part of His vineyard and hope that we can make a difference by our being here. 

1 comment:

  1. So excited to get your blog and see where you are living! It looks like a wonderful,place and you sound so happy! Hope you are both feeling well. Love to you both! Bob and LaRee

    ReplyDelete

It makes me smile when I hear from you.